- Worked with City of Boulder Planning and Development Review staff, members of the development community and others involved with this type of work to build a survey that will help assess the current processes and identify areas of opportunity; survey is underway, and results will be leveraged to identify baseline metrics and future areas of focus
- Contracted with two local communication firms, Vermilion and MAPR, to help advance our goal to increase communication to the community to help people understand the downstream ramifications of housing scarcity; campaign advocates that our community include housing options for teachers, health care providers and individuals at varying socioeconomic levels
- Working in concert with the private and public sector to convene a stakeholder meeting to discuss housing financing mechanisms, low-cost/no cost opportunities to improve efficiencies and building costs, and regional zoning and other best practices
- A housing study will be kicked off shortly to determine workforce housing needs to serve Boulder; focus will address the current workforce housing baseline and goal, and further delineating how many employees want to live in Boulder
- Advocated support to legislative delegation for HB19-1319 Incentives Developers Facilitate Affordable Housing and HB19-1322 Expand Supply of Affordable Housing—signed by Governor.
- Initiated strategic collaboration with County and City leadership on Regional Housing Partnership goals.
- Advocated for annexation of University of Colorado South Campus in Biz West and provided ongoing support for CU South and its opportunity to expand housing inventory.
- Advocated to Boulder City Council for mixed-use housing options at Alpine-Balsam.
- Convening local housing (and commercial) development leaders to set priority focus areas for expedited planning review and permitting.
- Advancing regional workforce housing strategies through collaboration with Northwest Chamber Alliance with focus on public education, creative financing and regulatory reform.
- Provide critical input to City Council and staff on proposed use table updates and the opportunity zone moratorium as part of strategy to advance zoning that increases housing inventory.
- Strategized on federal housing funding opportunities with Senator Michael Bennet’s office and part of the effort to apply outside funding to achieving our Boulder Together housing goals.
- Tackled housing pressures and national solutions, as well as other key issues, in a Policy Roundtable discussion with Congressman Joe Neguse we hosted for our Boulder Together investors and other Boulder Chamber business leaders.
- In line with our goal of expanding understanding regarding the workforce housing challenges, we led a packed session with the local entrepreneur community during Boulder Startup Week that shared information and sought their input on solutions to addressing the ongoing pressures central to our Boulder Together pillars.
We are developing an implementation plan for each of these items, all of which are consistent with our Boulder Together priorities.
- The Boulder Chamber hired a new Director of Policy Programs, Lori Call, who will assume responsibility for implementation of Boulder Together’s Workforce Housing goals.
Convened the Regional Workforce Housing Summit through our partnership with the Northwest Chamber Alliance, applying the creative insights from a diverse mix of business leaders to develop solutions for our workforce housing challenges. See summary report of the proposed solutions.
Prioritizing the most effective ideas and solutions for addressing our regional workforce housing challenges with the Northwest Chamber Alliance, while also identifying the most effective solutions for the Boulder community.
Accepting proposals for implementing the planned workforce housing assessment, in order to determine the full scope and character of our workforce housing challenge.
Convened the leadership of our development community, the Collaborative Planning and Development Forum, to begin establishing metrics for our efforts to track progress in improvements to Boulder’s project review and permitting procedures.
Working with a diverse group of housing advocates and developers to create the Innovate for Impact proposal to establish procedures for neighborhoods, individuals and developers to propose pilot projects to City of Boulder to address affordable housing for Boulder area employees.
Identified process, technical assistance teams, review criteria, and have submitted overall proposal to City of Boulder’s Planning and Community Development Department for staff review and approval. Now recruiting project evaluator and seeking funding for Innovate for Impact project administration.
Working with University of Colorado Boulder, City of Boulder, the Department of Transportation and the Army Corps of Engineers in the annexation of CU South properties.
Reviewed CU South land use and flood control issues with CU staff heading up CU annexation process.
Organized meetings between impacted South Boulder neighborhood and Frasier Meadows residents, Board and staff.
Organized advocacy effort and education program from neighborhood and Frasier to City Council to adopt option for flood control configuration and allow forward progress towards annexation.
- Working with the City of Boulder and the Regional Housing Partnership in preparing profiles of local company employees including wages, expenses, types of housing for which the employee/family might qualify, and the availability of the affordable housing type by community.
- Continue to provide input to the City of Boulder’s initiative to more clearly define “community benefit” and establish policies and procedures by which qualifying projects and proposals may either be exempted from or facilitated through existing requirements.